Working in an office or at a computer for prolonged periods of time can put strain on the neck, shoulder and back muscles which in turn can lead to tension and stiffness. This tension can cause headaches, as well as back, neck and shoulder pain. Office Yoga may help by releasing tension and increasing muscle strength and flexibility.
Take a few minutes for yourself and incorporate some Office Yoga into your daily routine.
Benefits of Office Yoga Include:
? Released tension
? Increased flexibility
? Stronger muscles
? Decreased stress, anxiety, and depression
? Improved concentration and memory
? It is energizing
? Improved balance
? Decreased resting heart rate
? It is non-competitive and process oriented
Before you begin:
? Breathing is very important, hen doing the exercises you want to take deep, slow breaths in and out.
? Exercises should be done slowly and with control.
? To gain the full benefit it is important that you focus and be in total control of yourself; your mind, body, and spirit.
? Take a few moments to just sit quietly be fore you start to gain concentration and focus.
? Be aware of your posture, your upper body should be straight and tall, yet relaxed.
? Yoga takes time to learn, you may need to do a few sessions before you become accustomed to the movements.
? Have fun and enjoy your time to relax and de-stress.
PLEASE NOTE: if you have any pre-existing health concerns relating to the neck, back or shoulders it is recommended that you check with your doctor prior to initiating this type of activity. As with any physical activity, if you experience pain or discomfort from these exercises you should discontinue the activity.
Yoga is a very spiritual practice that takes time to learn and requires concentration so when you are starting out follow these guidelines:
1. Find a studio or video tape that provides instruction that works for you. Or find an instructor that will come into your office and provide sessions with your colleagues at lunch, before or after work.
2. Whenever you do a Yoga routine, you should take a few moments to just sit quietly and concentrate on your breathing. It is important to connect your mind, body, and spirit to become focused on the movements you are about to perform.
3. After you have become accustomed to the exercises you can add to your routine if you choose to.
4. By choosing a shorter routine you will still reap the benefits of the exercises, feel refreshed, and re-energized. The maximum amount of time you should spend on an office yoga routine is 30 minutes.
5. Try and include Office Yoga into your routine 2 to 3 times per week. If you work at a computer for long hours it is recommended that you try to do the routine at least 2 times per week. Thus a total of 45 minutes a week is all you need to do. We hope you will work towards a routine that will assist with work/life balance.
Trish Tonaj @ Phaze2inc