The end of 2017 is quickly approaching and it is at this time of year when we meet with friends and family to enjoy the holiday season. The new year will soon be upon us, and once again we will return to the routine of everyday life. As we look towards the coming months, it is often time to plan the year by looking at our calendars, marking the days with birthdays, anniversaries, vacations and special events. At the same time, we evaluate where we are now and where we’d like to be in the future.
Setting goals for the New Year is something that I’m sure you’ve been doing for many years; it presents opportunities. What about if this year you gave yourself permission to do something different – colour outside the lines?
What if..in 2018 you decide to start your new business?
If that sounds like a plan then take the time to consider a few of the following items on this checklist which I call the Power of 10:
1. Am I truly passionate about this product or service? Why?
2. How much time per week do I have to “just get started”?
3. What are my entrepreneurial skills?
4. Is this a part-time or full-time venture?
5. Do I have enough savings to pay the bills until I see revenue?
6. Do I have a network of peers that will provide encouragement or allow me to seek advice?
7. Is this product or service scalable in the future and able to meet market demand?
8. What are my financial goals?
9. What personal and professional tools do I need to succeed?
10. What are my retirement or succession plans?
This list may seem daunting at first, but when you consider the choices and opportunities available to us as entrepreneurs it will indeed have you thinking about colouring outside the lines.
Taking the time to develop and review your own checklist will give you permission to explore the options that appeal not only to your creativity but wealth and wellbeing.
Most individuals who become entrepreneurs are looking to create a new stream of wealth for their families. They are looking for the positive energy that comes from jumping out of bed with excitement at the possibilities for another day. Some may have already started a vision board or journal with all the options available and others may simply be looking to strike a balance between work and play.
I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “go with the FLOW” – What if your new opportunity helped you clearly define your goals and objectives while creating a sense of wealth and wellbeing?
Let 2018 be the year when you give yourself permission to embark on a new journey of creativity and colour outside the lines.
What is on your list?